High blood pressue averages 175/180. Diastlolic average low 60. Pulse rate average 50 at rest. Have been prescribed 5mg amlodipine . Is this ok? 67

Dr. Clarence Grim
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Amlodipine for BP

70 M BP 180/60 prescribed amlodipine 5 mg.
OK? I specialize in high BP. I and guidelines would generally do following but check with ur team. First get a number of readings with home device that is accurate on u. See my checklist. Then if above 140 at your age begin DASH eating plan See my checklist. BP not

In brief: Amlodipine for BP

Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. John Garner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Yes, and...

Make sure you've had an echocardiogram checking for leakage of the aortic valve, which is not terribly likely but would explain the wide discrepancy between the very high 180 and the very normal 60.

In brief: Yes, and...

Dr. John Garner
Dr. John Garner
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine