How long should the screws in my tibia from an orif be protruding past my bone?

Dr. Rahul Banerjee
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Enough to hold bone
Depending on what was used to fix your tibia, screws should engage the bone.
Usually the tip of the screw may protrude a few millimeters. Because the tibia is a subcutaneous bone in certain areas (it is right under the skin), sometimes the tips of the screws can be symptomatic. After your bone is healed, you can discuss the appropriate time to remove screws if they are symptomatic.

In brief: Enough to hold bone
Dr. Rahul Banerjee
Dr. Rahul Banerjee
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Sports Medicine
In brief: Prominent Hardware?
I agree with dr. Mcclurg.
When we place the screws and plate sometimes they do "stick out" on the far side. If you are unable to feel the plate or screws, or as your activity increases you do not have any symptoms of pain or irritation then i suggest leaving the plate in. If you are having some symptoms or you are a relatively thin person than you may want to have the hardware removed after 1yr.

In brief: Prominent Hardware?
I agree with dr. Mcclurg.
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Dr. Joel McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery
When we place screws in bone they are usually place through the cortex twice.
This means that they pass through the cortex, through the bone marrow and then through the cortex again. This offers the maximum strength of fixation. They usually stick out the second cortex 1-5mm on average. The screw tips are rounded off to avoid sharp edges.

Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine