Father 90, should go for 6 hr surgery of cheek tumor, (suffered heart attack in past and now need angiced on and off) or should he go for hospice?

Pathology

In brief: Mohs' surgery?

If this is just a simple surgery for basal cell carcinoma on the skin of his cheek, then by all means encourage him to do it.
(it's his choice.) my dad danced through it at age 91. If it's heavy-duty resection of a deep cancer in the mouth, have him review his options, including surgery and radiation. I'd want aggressive treatment as i'll be more comfortable later, but it's his call.

In brief: Mohs' surgery?

Dr. Ronald Achong
Great answer! I agree 100%
Dr. Daniel Zanger
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Decision

The decision to go into hospice is far beyond the scope o this app .
You would be well advised to sit down with a trusted physician and go over the options.

In brief: Decision

Dr. Daniel Zanger
Dr. Daniel Zanger
Dr. Michael Thompson
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Impossible to answer

Can't answer this complicated question here.
He needs consideration by people that know him including physician and family. If surgery is desired, he may need cardiovascular clearance given his history.

In brief: Impossible to answer

Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Thomas Klein
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Do the surgery

Very difficult dilemma.
I assume there is cancer involved. Without surgery he will suffer and with surgery he faces risks. Make the decision jointly with him if he is able to participate. If he cannot participate in the decision making process then hospice is more likely the answer.

In brief: Do the surgery

Very difficult dilemma.
Dr. Thomas Klein
Dr. Thomas Klein
Dr. Mathew Chengot
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Consider

Risk of sx is high and at 90 god bless him to his what ever life left for him consult with e the father what he wants die peacefully of risk of death and trauma of sx and the way what and where is the tumor if he has all normal mental function ask him what he want - if i were in your position i will consult hospice if dad is for it.

In brief: Consider

Dr. Mathew Chengot
Dr. Mathew Chengot
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology