At jiu jitsu I think I felt my shoulder slip out of place and pop back in but no severe pain, did I dislocate it or sprain it?

Dr. Shane Miller
Sports Medicine

In brief: Subluxation

Catherine, it sounds like you're describing shoulder subluxation, which means the ball at the top of the humerus slips out of the shoulder socket and back into place.
If this continues to happen or if you're having any pain, weakness or other symptoms, you should have it checked out. Often, some exercises to strengthen the muscles that hold the humerus in place may help.

In brief: Subluxation

Dr. Shane Miller
Dr. Shane Miller
Dr. Lois Freisleben-Cook
Very nice description
Dr. Bruce Prager
Sports Medicine

In brief: Neither

You subluxated it.
A dislocation is when the shoulder pops out of the joint and you have to have it reduced; popped back in place. A sprain is when your ligament is injured. It sounds like your shoulder wanted to dislocate, but did not fully go out of its socket. This is not normal and should be addressed by an orthopedic surgeon especially if it has occurred more then once.

In brief: Neither

You subluxated it.
Dr. Bruce Prager
Dr. Bruce Prager
Dr. Vikram Patel