If I have my patella removed will I still be able to walk without a problem in the future?

Dr. Joel McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: It depends
The removal of the patella called patellectomy is a rare operation and has consequences for walking and other activities.
Removal of the patella deceases the knees ability to function including affecting walking distance and speed. It also makes kneeling and stairs more difficult. Even with aggressive rehabilitation there is persistent weakness of the quadriceps mechanism that is permanent.

In brief: It depends
Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. James Flanagan
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: Removal of patella
You should be able to walk just fine.
You will need to over develop your quadriceps muscle on that side since you lost the patella which acts as a fulcrum for this muscle.

In brief: Removal of patella
You should be able to walk just fine.
Dr. James Flanagan
Dr. James Flanagan
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine