I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer stage 3c in 2008. No recurrence other than a para-aortic lymph node....Pet showed suv of 19.8. What doc do I need?

Dr. Mitchell Kamrava
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Gyn oncology

You should see a gyn onc first.
Surgery may be appropriate. There may also be a role for chemo which many gyn oncs give their own chemo. A possible alternative to surgery if you choose not to do it may be a newer type of radiation called sbrt.

In brief: Gyn oncology

You should see a gyn onc first.
Dr. John Geisler
Gynecology - Oncology

In brief: Ovarian cancer

You need a gynecologic oncologist that will remove or destroy (debulk) the disease.
Pet scans are not as perfect as some docs claim they are. Often more disease is found at time of secondary debulking. Have you had your brca 1&2 tested? You need to!

In brief: Ovarian cancer

2 comments
Dr. Aasim Sehbai
I had a similar patient who had isolated recurrence in the single lymph node region on her pet and ct scan. She underwent radiation for it.
Dr. John Geisler
Although radiation may be useful in individual cases the use of radiation for non-palliation is not well supported by current literature
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham