Can a low dose (5mg) of prednisone (prescribed to reduce mild adrenal hyperplasia to improve female fertility) aggravate my depression?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Yes it can

Yes, Prednisone can aggravate depression.
Please discuss this with your physicians. Dose adjustments may be needed in your prednisone, your antidepressants, or both. If feeling depressed but not yet being treated for depression, an evaluation could help discern what's going on. Effective treatment could be provided.

In brief: Yes it can

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Could, but unlikely!

You will need to discuss this with your doctor. Since you were found to have low levels of cortisol, itself, which can causes depression (was this measured or simply guessed at?), this is a low dose, and would likely suppress your own cortisol production even further! so the net rise in steroid activity is small.
Could happen, but I am on the side of unlikely and that it might be a coincidence!

In brief: Could, but unlikely!

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
2 comments
Dr. Ramachandran Srinivasan
yes it can aggravate depression if used for prolonged periods of time
Dr. Thomas Namey
Not at that dose if used for the purpose it was given. The total steroids on board would fall below endogenous plus 5mg of pred, because the adrenal gland would less less!
Dr. Arthur Mandelin
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Maybe

It would not be common at this low dose, but it is not impossible.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Arthur Mandelin
Dr. Arthur Mandelin