If I am having ankle surgery at 1 pm and am having a block, can I eat a little something early in the morning?

Dr. Richard Tholen
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Ask your surgeon!

Most anesthesia providers require an empty stomach for at least 6-8 hours before surgery.
Although you are having a block, you may well also be receiving sedation via intravenous, and this could make you drowsy enough to lose part of your gag reflex, allowing vomit to enter your lungs. Bad! and what if things go poorly with the block and they want to put you to sleep? Now it's unsafe if you ate!

In brief: Ask your surgeon!

Dr. Richard Tholen
Dr. Richard Tholen
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: It is better not

When they give a block, sometime still they IV sedation.

In brief: It is better not

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Vicken Poochikian