How do I help my boyfriend get rid of his marriage phobia when he says he wants to settle down with me?

Dr. Jerry Smith
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Couples Therapy

I recommend seeking pre-marital/relationship counseling together. An effective therapist will be able to assist you both in determining what you each want in the relationship and how to achieve your goals together in a way that does not intimidate or created undue anxiety/distress for either of you.

In brief: Couples Therapy

Dr. Jerry Smith
Dr. Jerry Smith
Dr. Richard Levenson
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Marriage Phobia

Have him see a licensed mental health professional.
Together, they can work through the fears and irrational beliefs he may have about being married.

In brief: Marriage Phobia

Dr. Richard Levenson
Dr. Richard Levenson
Dr. Donald Hazlett

In brief: Listen to him

And don't try to tell him he has no need to feel that way.
Our feelings can't be denied. What we do about our feelings is most important. He obviously wants to "settle down" with you. Long talks with patient listening can help. If that doesn't seem to go anywhere, encourage him to talk to a professional about it. A good relationship can pull you through it all.

In brief: Listen to him

Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine