How can I get my boyfriend to realize that holding in anger isn't healthy?

Dr. Gerald Bausek

In brief: Dealing with anger

Holding in anger is often related to an underdevelopment in ability to use language to express emotions, and men tend to suffer from that more than women.
You can help him learn how to talk about his feelings in a variety of ways, all of which require patience and caring to be successful. A resource is www.Gottman.Com, or taking a couple's communication class, or seeing a couple's therapist.

In brief: Dealing with anger

Dr. Gerald Bausek
Dr. Gerald Bausek
Dr. Andrew Carroll

In brief: Upbringing

A lot of times, men are "trained" from childhood to hold things in.
Obviously this is not always healthy, but is kind of a part of our culture. Helping him to talk about it with you, and then possibly with a counselor might be a good start.

In brief: Upbringing

Dr. Andrew Carroll
Dr. Andrew Carroll
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine