My dad has severe water retention with swollen ankles and legs. He was just diagnosed with lung cancer. How can he be helped with the endema?

Dr. Aasim Sehbai
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Edema

Severe edema is caused by either liver, cardiac, kidney failure or very low albumin, or lymphatic blockage from tumor or DVT so diagnosing underlying cause and treating that is imp.
Diuretics like lasix, (furosemide) leg elevation and ted stockings should help.

In brief: Edema

Dr. Aasim Sehbai
Dr. Aasim Sehbai
Dr. David Gurvis
Podiatry

In brief: Elevation

You dad is in a difficult position and he has my sympathies.
Lung disease can be difficult. He should speak to his physician to see if diuretics might help, but in th meantime, he can elevate his legs to help minimize the fluid retention.

In brief: Elevation

Dr. David Gurvis
Dr. David Gurvis
Dr. John Garner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Diuretics and...

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis.
The edema can and should be treated with diuretics if it originates from associated heart failure, but an ultrasound of the heart should be done looking for cardiac involvement of the lung cancer as well. Metastases to the heart are not uncommon and diuretics are not a good idea if there's an obstruction to inflow.

In brief: Diuretics and...

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis.
Dr. John Garner
Dr. John Garner
Dr. Umesh Patel