How can I tell whether I have carpal tunnel syndrome?

Dr. Julian Bragg
Neurology

In brief: History, exam, tests

While the diagnosis of carpal tunnel can often be made on the basis of a careful history and examination, electrical testing can be used to prove the diagnosis.
This is important to rule out other diagnoses (e.g. Pinched nerve in the neck) that may be causing your symptoms. A neurologist can help guide diagnosis and treatment, .

In brief: History, exam, tests

Dr. Julian Bragg
Dr. Julian Bragg
Dr. Craig Morton
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Numbness in hand

Carpal tunnel means that the median nerve in your wrist is compressed or irritated as it travels through the carpal tunnel.
Carpal tunnel can cause numbness and/or "tingling" in the thumb, index, middle, and 1/2 of the ring finger. It may involved any or all of these fingers. In addition some patients experience wrist pain and some experience weakness in their hand.

In brief: Numbness in hand

Dr. Craig Morton
Dr. Craig Morton