What do I need to know about taking medication while pregnant?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Is benefit > risk?
Some women need to continue or take medication during pregnancy for ongoing medical problems or those that develop during pregnancy or childbirth.
Discussion between patient and prescribing doctor should include reason for medication, risks and side effects of that drug to mom and to baby, benefits of treatment, alternatives to that drug. If patient agrees with it, she should take only as directed.

In brief: Is benefit > risk?
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Elia Fanous
In brief: Ask your OB provider
Definitely start by asking your provider. I generally give a handout at the first visit with a list of approved meds.
You can also look up the pregnancy category. Categories a, b, & c are generally considered safe. Category d and x should be avoided.

In brief: Ask your OB provider
Dr. Elia Fanous
Dr. Elia Fanous
Dr. Adam Levy