I smoke. How is my skin affected by my smoking?

Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dermatology

In brief: Aging

Smoking is one of the top ways to prematurely age your skin and body.
The toxins and chemicals in tobacco smoke damage the collagen and elastin in skin which leads to wrinkling and sagging. The nicotine in tobacco causes narrowing of the blood vessels which inhibits the amount of oxygen and nutrients going to the skin which is vital in keeping it healthy.

In brief: Aging

Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Drying and aging

Cigarette smoking causes skin to dry out, wrinkle more, and age faster. It loses its elasticity earlier than it should.
There are lots of reasons to stop smoking, and how you look shouldn't be the primary one, but sometimes it is. Get help to quit.

In brief: Drying and aging

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg