Does atrial septal defect differ from pfo? How does it differ? My cardiologist suspected that I have asd/pfo. I think he's not sure.

Dr. Daniel Zanger
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Pfo vs Asd

Pfos are very common in the general population in fact as high as 30 per cent in your age group .
An ASD is a somewhat different entity where there is a larger communication between the 2 upper chambers of the heart . Pfo generally require no treatment ASD s at times need repair or closure depending on the size.

In brief: Pfo vs Asd

Dr. Daniel Zanger
Dr. Daniel Zanger
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Asd is a real hole

Whereaa a pfo is a normal valve that fuses and closes the septum in more than 80% after birth (it needs to be open in fetal life) an ASD is a true defect with lacking tissue leading to a communication between both filling chambers of the heart.
If >6mm it likely causes volume load for the right heart and sjould be closed either by surgery or cath.

In brief: Asd is a real hole

Dr. Matthias Peuster
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Similar but not same

Both are connections between the atria.
A pfo is persistence of a connection that is normally present while in the womb. A true ASD is a hole in the septum. 25% of people have a pfo. And many people have true asds. The decision to repair them (can be surgery or in cath lab) depends on numerous factors that i would recommend you discuss with your cardiologist.

In brief: Similar but not same

Both are connections between the atria.
Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Dr. Jonathan Jassey