Does RA effect your lifespan?

Dr. John Kayvanfar
Sports Medicine

In brief: No

Not if controlled well.

In brief: No

Not if controlled well.
Dr. John Kayvanfar
Dr. John Kayvanfar
Dr. Michael Laccheo
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

On average, life expectancy in those with rheumatoid arthritis is less than those without it; however, plenty of my patients (and others with rheumatoid arthritis) live much longer than the average.
I have many patients in their 90s and 100s.

Dr. Michael Laccheo
Dr. Michael Laccheo
Dr. Kirt Kimball
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: No

The disease itself does not affect life span but the treatments certainly may.
This is dependent on severity of disease and thus complexity of necessary treatment. The treatments are associated with significant morbidity and thus increased mortality.

In brief: No

Dr. Kirt Kimball
Dr. Kirt Kimball
Dr. Betty Keller
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

The average life expectancy is a little shorter for people with rheumatoid arthritis.
This does not mean that all patients with rheumatoid arthritis will have a shortened lifespan. Rheumatoid arthritis is not fatal. It can be associated with complications and treatment related side effects which can contribute to a shorten lifespan.

Dr. Betty Keller
Dr. Betty Keller