If I had a nail put in for my tibial spiral fracture, can it ever be removed?

Dr. Howard Epps
Orthopedic Surgery

It can be removed provided the fracture is healed.
It doesn't have to be removed, however. Removing it requires another anesthetic and all the risks associated with surgery (bleeding, infection, nerve or vessel damage) so you must consider all those factors in your decision.

Dr. Howard Epps
Dr. Howard Epps
Dr. Joel McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery

Tibial nails are usually placed along with locking bolds (screws) which hold them in place.
Removal requires the same number of incision it took to place the nail and is usually unnecessary. The implants are made of stainless steel, or more often titanium and can be remain in for the lifetime of the patient without any problems.

Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine