I sleep on the floor to alleviate back pain but lately have been getting severe hip pain during the night, what can I do?

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Try a firm mattress

You are likely suffering from prolonged diect compression over the bony prominence of your hips referred to as the greater trochanter. A bursa exists between the skin and the bony prominence there, and can become inflamed and cause local pain and irritation that could easily wake you at night.
Some level of padding, perhaps in the form of a firm mattress, may help alleviate the pain.

In brief: Try a firm mattress

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Craig Morton
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: See physician

There are many causes of hip pain.
Pain can be in the front, side, or back of the hip. A few of the more common causes are arthritis, bursitis, and tendonopathy. Some of the more serious causes are infection, fractures, and cancer. I would recommend seeing your physician if you have sereve pain that wakes you from your sleep.

In brief: See physician

There are many causes of hip pain.
Dr. Craig Morton
Dr. Craig Morton
Dr. Eric Weisman