What does a ganglion cyst on my wrist mean?

Joint fluid hernia.. Ganglion cysts are filled with joint fluid, usually from one of the wrist joints, that has been expressed from the joint to form a cyst under the skin. They are usually associated with a weak area of the joint capsule. They can be removed if symptomatic, but have a tendency to recur even after complete removal. Also, there may still be pain after removal of the cyst. See a hand surgeon.
A Bible Bump. A ganglion cyst, is a swelling that often appears on or around joints and tendons in the hand or foot. The size of the ganglion or cyst can vary over time. It is most frequently located around the back of the wrist and on the fingers. The term "bible bump" comes from a common treatment in the past that consisted of hitting the cyst with a bible or another large book. This may make it worse.
Outpouching of wrist. A ganglion cyst is an outpouching or the wrist lining that occurs through a defect in the wrist capsule. It is analogous but not identical to a hernia. It tends to be filled with a thick joint like fluid. Treatment varies from trauma (no kidding - slamming a bible), aspiration, injection, and surgery. Surgery may involve repair of the capsule or resection of protruding bone spurs.
Outpouching of joint. A ganglion cyst is an outpouching of the joint capsule with synovium fluid inside. Usually secondary to a weakness in the joint capsule (either congenital or acquired). The may be painful or painless. Some people will want them excised due to cosmetic disfigurement or pain.