When is a knee replacement recommended?

For pain. When an artistic knee fails non operative therapy and becomes painful enough to interfere with normal activities, surgeons consider knee replacement.
The last step. Knee replacement or total knee arthroplasty is recommended when three criteria are met. First the patient has to have x-ray evidence of joint degeneration. Second the patient has to have failed non-surgical treatment. Third the pain caused by the arthritis has to be limiting the patient or decreasing quality of life. In the end it is the patient that decides when to have knee replacement.