My 3 yr old son has an enlarged knee cap and sometimes crawls when he feels pain, is this okay to let him do?

Observation. Let him crawl or walk. But keep it under observation. If it gets worse then take him to a pediatric orthopedic surgeon.
See an orthopedist. This is not normal. You should take him to a pediatric orthopedist to have it looked at.