I've had 2 surgeries in 3 yrs for my still extremely painful ankle and have severe arthritis, is a replacement my only option?

Dr. Joel McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: No

There are two conventional options and an emerging third option for patients with ankle oa.
Which option is best is highly dependent on age, medical condition, and whether there are other problems in the foot and ankle. The conventional options are: fusion of the ankle joint, or replacement. A third option being tried is allograft replacement where we use the ankle joint from a cadaver.

In brief: No

Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Eric Bluman
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Be careful...

Dr. Mcclurg is correct.
However, i must caution you on the third option he provided. Despite early good reports the most recent results of the allograft technique have tempered our enthusiasm. Right now ankle fusion and replacement are the only two things that i can recommend to you.

In brief: Be careful...

Dr. Mcclurg is correct.
Dr. Eric Bluman
Dr. Eric Bluman
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine