Could the plate in my humerus have weakened my bone so it will break down further?

Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Hard to say.
If you have a plate and hardware that has occupied a significant area of the humerus, it may put you at risk for re-fracture at the original fracture site.

In brief: Hard to say.
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Peter Ihle
after complete healing the hardware is just along 4 the ride. U would B at higher risk if the hardware is removed for some time, as the bone needs a while 2 remodel to accept the new stresses.
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Sports Medicine
In brief: Weakened Bone?
The plate in your humerus does not itself "weaken" your bone.
Once your bone heals it acts live rebar in cement. The bone immediately adjacent to the plate is not as stiff as the plate, meaning that if you were to put enough pressure on your bone from a fall or an accident there is a good chance that the bone will break either above or below the plate.

In brief: Weakened Bone?
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine