How long does it take before I no longer run/bike with a limp after a hip replacement surgery?

Dr. Joel McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Don't run
Depending on a number of factors including the surgical approach used, whether the leg was lengthened and differences among patients you can expect to have some limp for several months after hip replacement surgery.
These replacements were not made for the impact of running and i strongly advise my patients to avoid those types of impact activities which will shorten implant life.

In brief: Don't run
Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. James Flanagan
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: Hip replacement
This depends on several factors.
The type of approach you had for your hip replacement, whether anterior, anterolateral, or posterior. It also depends on you muscular rehabilitation. Also it depends on whether your leg lengths are equal. You certainly will not limp when you are biking. I would consult with your physical therapist regarding your progression with rehab.

In brief: Hip replacement
This depends on several factors.
Dr. James Flanagan
Dr. James Flanagan
Dr. Eric Weisman