How can I turn my brain 'off' when trying to fall asleep?

Dr. Ranji Varghese
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Active mind

Difficulty relaxing for sleep and an active mind can be the result of many things including medications, coffee, smoking, psychiatric issues, and particularly stress.
Guided imagery or passive muscle relaxation along with setting aside time for problem solving during the day can help quiet the mind.

In brief: Active mind

Dr. Ranji Varghese
Dr. Ranji Varghese
Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: Sometimes

You can't. It depends on what is driving your brain to not be avle to turn off.
Ocd patients frequently have trouble with sleep because they are constantly making lists of things that need to be done or going over the day that has ended. Bipolar patients can't stop their brains because of the racing thoughts. If there is no mental health problem, good sleep hygiene and meditation should help.

In brief: Sometimes

Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine