Is sleep walking something you either do or not?

Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Sleep walk.
One theory is that the cause is a delay in maturation of the central nervous system.
Other possibilities include genetic predisposition, excess tiredness, sleep deprivation, fever, other sleep disorders such as restless legs, or medications.

In brief: Sleep walk.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Bassam Amawi
I never had any sleep walking in my whole life.

Dr. Bassam Amawi
Dr. Bassam Amawi
Dr. Donald Hazlett
In brief: Like everything else
We either do or do not do everything in life.
The difference is whether we control doing or not doing things or don't control them. By definition sleep walking is involuntary. Other types of behavior done in our sleep exist that are also involuntary such as sleep talking and sitting up with night terrors.

In brief: Like everything else
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Ravi Chand
In brief: Sleepwalking
Sleepwalking can happen in the deepest stage of sleep called delta or slow wave sleep.
It can be genetic but may happen spontaneously or may happen in sleep apnea or by some meds like Ambien (zolpidem) etc. Please ensure safety so there is no bodily damage.

In brief: Sleepwalking
Dr. Ravi Chand
Dr. Ravi Chand
Dr. Adam Smith