Are irregular serotonin levels an indicator of delayed sleep phase syndrome?

Dr. Ranji Varghese
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine
In brief: Not Really
Most of the scientific evidence points to melatonin secretion, which is largely governed by a part of the brain called the suprachiasmatic nucleus, as the main chemical in circadian rhythm disturbances such as delayed sleep phase disorder. Serotonin is just one brain messenger important for us to feel awake.

In brief: Not Really
Dr. Ranji Varghese
Dr. Ranji Varghese
Dr. Donald Jacobson
In brief: Not that I know of
The best indicator of this is careful history taking, the measurement of sleep times by actigraphy and a sleep journal of three weeks duration.
It is possible that genetic testing of one of the "her" genes may separate out those truly genetic types versus those that are more behaviorally induced. I could find nothing on serotonin levels and dpsd.

In brief: Not that I know of
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Donald Jacobson