What bed-time habits could prevent my insomnia?

Mentally prepare . About an hour before bedtime, start winding down by quieting things down, wrapping up the day's chores and events, and thinking ahead to plan tomorrow's. Schedule your to-dos so you aren't' carrying them in your head, and your lighter head will drift into the clouds more easily. Also, people with insomnia would be wise not to read or eat in bed. Keep it for sleeping!
Good Sleep Hygiene. First identifying what type of sleep disturbance you have is key. If the insomnia is a difficulty with getting to sleep because of inability to relax or a very busy mind, consider passive muscle relaxation or guided imagery techniques. Avoid large meals close to bedtime and especially caffeine. Keep a consistent bedtime/wake up and stick with it on weekends. Most important don't stress out.