Is it safe to take renagel while pregnant or breastfeeding?

Dr. Jack Rubin
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Renajel absorption

You can take renajel while pregnant or while you are breast feeding because it is not absorbed from the intestine into your blood stream. It is used to bind phosphorus (p) in the intestine to prevent high p levels from developing in the blood of patients with advanced kidney disease of those on dialysis.
If you are taking it after meals, have a physician check your p level in your blood.

In brief: Renajel absorption

Dr. Jack Rubin
Dr. Jack Rubin
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: No

This is a more complicated answer than just yes or no.
I assume you are on dialysis if you are taking this medication. You need to see a high risk doctor before considering pregnancy.

In brief: No

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Jane Van Dis