I keep talking to myself. Is something wrong with my mental health?

Dr. Christine Musello
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Brain Stimulation
Studies have shown that people who talk aloud to themselves are actually doing something useful: they are stimulating various brain functions, especially memory.
Talking aloud is a strategy to aid thinking, and may be used more frequently by people who tend to have a noisy, distractible brain. It will boost brain power, so don't worry!

In brief: Brain Stimulation
Dr. Christine Musello
Dr. Christine Musello
Dr. Albert Pizzo
In brief: Self talk
Positive self talk can be very beneficial.
However if you find your self talk is constantly negative or critical then you should obtain professional help to keep problems from developing.

In brief: Self talk
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Donald Hazlett
When folks talk to themselves and know it's them, no need to worry. If they begin to think it's someone else that could be a problem, especially if others ask you " who are talking to". Benign talking to ones self, even out loud, is almost always done in private or softly under ones breath, so others won't hear and wonder about it. Some folks solve problems even with negative self talk.
Dr. Donald Hazlett
In brief: Probably not
When folks talk to themselves and know it's them, no need to worry.
If they begin to think it's someone else that could be a problem, especially if others ask you " who are you talking to?". Benign talking to ones self even out loud, is almost always done in private or softly under ones breath, so others won't hear and wonder about it. Some folks solve problems even with negative self talk.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine