Can medications for depression affect who you are as a person?

Brian Fishman
Emergency Medicine
In brief: They Shouldn't
The nature of depression medications is to alter the amounts or effectiveness of neurotransmitters in your brain.
If you are taking an anti-depressant and you feel "off" or not like yourself, talk with your doctor. Consider trying a different medication. There are enough options that you should be able to find treatment that helps your depression without making you feel like a different person.

In brief: They Shouldn't
Brian Fishman
Brian Fishman
Answer assisted by Brian Fishman, Medical Student
Dr. Pamela Pappas
In brief: Perhaps
Some who have been very depressed can feel liberated when an antidepressant begins to work.
Peter kramer's "listening to prozac" patients felt "better than well, " even. On the other hand, i've known people who tell me, "i'm no longer suicidal, but i don't feel like myself either." sometimes this may be the unfamiliarity of no longer being depressed, but in some cases it can be a "dulling" effect.

In brief: Perhaps
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Eric Weisman