I feel so disconnected from myself and my surroundings. Am I depressed?

Brian Fishman
Emergency Medicine
In brief: Possibly
Depression is an illness that can present a number of different ways.
A feeling of disconnection or withdrawal from social interaction can be one of them. Other indicators might be a change in your sleeping or eating habits, lack of interest in previously enjoyable activities, or feelings of worthlessness or thoughts of suicide, among other things. Talk to your family doctor about these feelings.

In brief: Possibly
Brian Fishman
Brian Fishman
Answer assisted by Brian Fishman, Medical Student
Dr. Pamela Pappas
In brief: Possibly
Depression is one problem that may cause feelings of disconnect from self and surroundings, but not the only one.
It would be best to seek evaluation from a psychiatrist about this, so that all possibilities could be looked into & you get the most appropriate treatment. Seeing your family physician for a general health checkup is a good idea also.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine