I'm afraid that if I take medication for depression, i'll feel even more depressed seeing myself take the medication. What should I do?

Dr. Robert Woods
In brief: On The Same Team
Medication is often recommended for the treatment of depression.
It is not uncommon for one to resent the actual medication. Two suggestions: first you have nothing to lose by trying the medication and with positive results it will be easy to continue. Second i tell my patients to sit with their pills in front of them, talk to them, and make them your friends. You are all on the same team.

In brief: On The Same Team
Dr. Robert Woods
Dr. Robert Woods
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology
In brief: Meds will help
I've heard similar things from friends and patients with depression.
I usually ask, "is the greater weakness taking the pills, or not taking the pills?" i see starting medication as a big step in taking control of your depression and reclaiming your mind. It's a liberating image, in my opinion.

In brief: Meds will help
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Susan Uhrich
In brief: Start with therapy
Not all depressions require medication.
Why not start with a therapist?

In brief: Start with therapy
Not all depressions require medication.
Why not start with a therapist?
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Andrew Ho
In brief: Acceptance
You have taken a very important step towards recovery by recognizing you are suffering from depression.
This opens the door to even greater understanding about yourself. Like any journey of significance, there is much to look forward to as well as anxiety about what you will discover. Accept that you have already embarked on this journey, discover how the medication can help you.

In brief: Acceptance
Dr. Andrew Ho
Dr. Andrew Ho
Dr. Mary Ann Block
General Practice
In brief: Find the cause
You may have an underlying medical condition causing the depressed symptoms.
See a doctor who will do a thorough medical evaluation. Hypothyroidism, nutritional deficiencies, hormone imbalance and even allergies can cause you to feel depressed.

In brief: Find the cause
Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Mary Ann Block
General Practice
In brief: Find the right docto
If you feel depressed, you might have one of many medical problems causing you to feel this way.
It does not mean you have depression and need an antidepressant. Find a doctor who will spend the time to find the real cause of your symptoms, not just prescribe drugs for symptoms.

In brief: Find the right docto
Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Eric Weisman