How can I prevent my dental floss from getting stuck and breaking?

Floss. Unwaxed tend to tear more. I prefer j&j waxed- mint. If your teeth are extremely tight try glide floss. "only floss the one's you want to keep" !
Many different kinds. Dental tape is a stronger, thicker dental floss but can be more difficult to use in between tight tooth contacts. Waxed floss tends to not get caught or frey as much, but may not clean as well.
Technique. Slide the floss in pass the contact point. You can then pull it from one end.
Use waxed floss. The unwaxed dental floss will often get stuck and break. Use a waxed variety.