How can I prevent teeth grinding at night?

Brittany Chan
In brief: Dental guards
People who grind their teeth at night can wear down their teeth.
A dentist can fit a person with dental guards (like a retainer) to prevent the teeth from grinding during sleep. In some cities, there are dental specialists who customize dental "appliances". There are also generic over-the-counter guards to prevent grinding, but one should ask his dentist if the otc guard is fitting well.

In brief: Dental guards
Brittany Chan
Brittany Chan
Answer assisted by Brittany Chan, Medical Student
In brief: Depends
Should see a dentist and possibly get to source of the grinding or have a custom mouthpiece constructed.
If the teeth are worn down, this will change your bite, which in turn can cause muscle and TMJ problems.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Danny Proffitt
In brief: Mouth Guard
If you are a persistent "grinder" you will need some help.
I would see the dentist or orthodontist and get evaluated. They will more than likely fit you with a mouth guard to wear at night to prevent grinding of the teeth. This will wear away your teeth and cause you much problem and cost you "much dollars"! you may need to be treated for anxiety or other issues if they are present.

In brief: Mouth Guard
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Adam Smith