How can I treat pain while I chew?

TMJ. Do not chew for a few days and drink only liquids like ensure or carnation instant breakfast drink until the pain gets better. Do not chew gum. Take Motrin 600 or 800 mg to reduce the inflammation. Good luck. You have to rest the jaw just like you rest a knee or ankle when it gets inflamed.
Different ways. What you're probably referring to is tmj-which is pain and clicking in the jaw. You can take Ibuprofen as needed according to the dosage on the bottle. Another option is sleeping with a mouth guard if you think you're grinding your teeth or clenching your jaw at night. Avoid chewing gum as excessive chewing can exacerbate the pain. See your doctor or dentist if the pain persists.