If my gums are not bleeding but swollen, do I have periodontal disease?

Dr. David May
Dentistry

In brief: Gingivitis

Is the inflammation of your gums before there is any bone loss, and is reversible.
As soon as there is measurable bone loss, you have periodontal disease. If there is only swelling yo u have gingivitis.

In brief: Gingivitis

Dr. David May
Dr. David May
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology

Start treatment with vitamin c with bioflavenoids, co q10 and therafresh toothpaste and mouthwash and your gums will improve within 2 weeks.
Give this a try prior to repeated scaling and possible gum surgery. It worked for me.

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. David Levine
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: Yes,

Bleeding gums are one of the first signs of periodontal disease.
Bleeding upon brushing can be a reversible stage of gum disease and with proper treatment will stop. Best to see you dentist for treatment.

In brief: Yes,

Dr. David Levine
Dr. David Levine
Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dentistry

Peridontal disease meanse a disease around the teeth.

Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dr. Dell Goodrick
Dentistry

In brief: Maybe

Are they swollen behind your lower molars? If so, probably not, it may be pericorinitis, a swelling sometimes caused by trapped food, stress or 3rd molar coming in.
However, if you have swelling around other areas of the gums, it could be an allergic reaction or yes, a form of periodontal concern. See a dentist to verify your reason for swelling. An abscessed tooth can cause the gum to swell too.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Dell Goodrick
Dr. Dell Goodrick
Dr. Jack Hinkle