Is it possible I am pregnant if I get a negative result on a home pregnancy test?

Dr. Kevin O'neil
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Urogynecology

If you are very early, generally less than 5 weeks, a home pregnancy test may not be positive.
Waiting a few days and rechecking it, as long as you aren't experiencing pain or abnormal bleeding, is usually ok. Otherwise, you can go to your doctor to get a blood sample drawn to check a serum pregnancy test which is very accurate.

Dr. Kevin O'neil
Dr. Kevin O'neil
Pathology

Home pregnancy test may be negative very early in pregnancy.
If the urine is too dilute it may give a false negative test. Also not following the instructions for performing the test properly may give a false negative test. If you are free of symptoms, you may repeat the test in 4-5 days or see your doctor.

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham