How many teeth do you need to lose to receive dentures?

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management
In brief: All of your teeth
Complete dentures are made for people who have lost all of their teeth.
Complete dentures also called "plates."cover your entire jaw, either upper or lower. Ask your dentist if you are a good candidate for dental implants.

In brief: All of your teeth
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: From 1 to all
You can use a denture to replace one tooth, a few teeth or a full set of teeth.
A denture that replaces a full set of teeth is called a complete denture. A denture that replaces one or a few teeth is called a partial denture. You may consider discussing dental bridges and dental implants with your dentist.

In brief: From 1 to all
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics
In brief: One
If you lose a front tooth, you might want a removable partial denture.
Better option is an implant with a crown. However, if you lose more, you might want a partial denture to replace them. Most often, though, unless they are needed for appearance or really needed for function, many patients do not wear them. Of course, if you have no teeth remaining, complete dentures are available.

In brief: One
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler
In brief: No standard answer
At least one tooth must be missing before a denture could made.
Different dental insurance plans will have different stipulations as to how many teeth are missing before the insurance company pays for a denture.

In brief: No standard answer
Dr. Justin Zumstein
Dr. Justin Zumstein
Dr. Tamer Abdel-azim
Dentistry - Prosthodontics
In brief: No set number
There is not a specific number of teeth that need to be extracted in order to have dentures made.
That depends on the unique condition of each patient's teeth. Your dentist would be able to help determine if dentures are appropriate for you.

In brief: No set number
Dr. Tamer Abdel-azim
Dr. Tamer Abdel-azim
In brief: Partial or Full?
You technically only need to lose one or more teeth to require a partial removable denture, but you need to lose all your teeth to get a full removable denture.

In brief: Partial or Full?
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. Howard Banner
Dentistry
In brief: At least one
There are complete dentures which replace all upper and or lower teeth and there are partial dentures that can peplace one or more missing teeth.

In brief: At least one
Dr. Howard Banner
Dr. Howard Banner
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Dentures
I am not a dentist, but would say the answer depends on several factors, like, what is the condition of your other teeth? I do not think there is a set number of teeth you have to have or not have to receive dentures.
Also, for some, dental implants are used instead of standard dentures. Good luck.

In brief: Dentures
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. James Vito
Dentures are either partial or full. A partial denture replaces some not all of your teeth. Full dentures replace all your teeth
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Complete?
Do you mean a complete denture (all teeth gone)? Or a partial denture.
If partial, even one tooth can be replaced. Routine procedures for all dentists. See your dentist for advice.

In brief: Complete?
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Jonathan Jassey