How can I prevent tmj?

Difficult. This is a tough problem. One needs an expert diagnosis and evaluation. Then, special mouth guards may be necessary to avoid grinding and my need orthodontia and surgical intervention. Avoiding chewing hard, chewy and difficult materials may help. Anti-inflammatories may help as well as rest. Some physical therapy by a pt specializing in this may help.
In reality, cannot. Most people have episodes of tmd or TMJ discomfort at one time or another. It is a most unusual and overused joint. What has been pointed out by my esteemed colleague are strategies to deal with it. The problem is that people do not seek advice until they have symptoms, so in reality prevention of initial onset is almost never accomplished.
Manage Risk factors. There are many risk factors associated with tmj. Jaw closure pattern discrepancies, dental crowding and other evidence of malocclusion, bad posture all matter. Sort out the risk factors, may sure you close and bite on a proper, neuromuscular trajectory. Set things up, for success.
A few things. Avoid noxious habits like clenching/grinding. Good dental health. Good diet. Plenty of sleep. Early management of symptoms like pain with opening, joint noises, limited oral opening.
Tough question. Often, tmj/tmd can occur with even minor functions, like a wide yawn. You should be proactive. If you have been told that you grind or clench your teeth, if you have missing teeth, bite your fingernails, a crooked or bad bite, chew on one side only, chew hard, sticky foods, etc. See what i mean. Trauma can also cause tmj. Just be on top of things, see your dentist regularly and do research.