How can I train myself to not keep my jaw tight to avoid tmj?

Dr. Kim Capehart
Dentistry
In brief: NSAIDS & Splints
Many times anti-inflammatory's and mouth splints can help "train" your jaw to minimize effects of tmj.
Regular visits to the dentist is important to maintain the optimal TMJ health.

In brief: NSAIDS & Splints
Dr. Kim Capehart
Dr. Kim Capehart
Holly Barth
General Practice
In brief: Mouth guard at night
Many people with TMJ clench their jaw and/or grind their teeth at night.
Sleeping with a mouth guard in can help. It is also common for TMJ to get worse with stress so proper stress management can help. Low doses of nsaids (ibuprofen) can help with your pain. If it gets more severe: a dentist can help.

In brief: Mouth guard at night
Holly Barth
Holly Barth
Answer assisted by Holly Barth, Medical Student
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Teeth not touching
One of the most useful methods is to realize that teeth only touch while chewing ans swallowing.
Other times keep your teeth slightly separated. Should help.

In brief: Teeth not touching
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Andrew Killgore
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Cheap mouthguard
Not a bad idea if you are day-time clenching.
To remind you of your habit and prevent damage to the teeth and strain in the muscles. A mouthguard is not a good idea if you are a night-time clencher. Find someone who has graduated from the kois center for advanced dentistry. They may help you find the diagnosis you are looking for.

In brief: Cheap mouthguard
Dr. Andrew Killgore
Dr. Andrew Killgore
Dr. Marsha Davis