Do muscle relaxers help tmj?

Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Usually

Muscle relaxers will help the muscular pain usually associated with TMJ.

In brief: Usually

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dentistry

In brief: Short term, maybe

Muscle relaxants may be of short term value, but are not treating the problem. Bite problems are the heart of the TMJ disorder? That is what causes the muscle pain and spasm. Even Botox has been used, but the problem always returns.
Manage the bite, manage the problem!

In brief: Short term, maybe

Manage the bite, manage the problem!
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Of course

They work by relaxing the muscles in your jaw and face, and they help decrease muscle spasms.
There are many simple therapies that you can use to help speed your recovery. See Orofacial Pain expert for diagnosis and treatment.

In brief: Of course

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin

In brief: Somewhat

Muscle relaxants, i found in my practice, are not very effective in the long run.
The meds may mask the real problem. An exam and evaluation are needed to attempt to find the source of the problem and treat without using meds.

In brief: Somewhat

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Steven Bender
Dentistry

In brief: Muscle relaxers

With most muscle relaxers, we are not able to tolerate a high enough dose to actually relax the muscle.
The medication usually causes more of an antianxiety effect. These drugs can be helpfull for some people. The bite or dental occlusion has been shown to have little to no effect on the tmjs. It is currently believed that sleep bruxism is one of the major contributors to TMJ pain.

In brief: Muscle relaxers

Dr. Steven Bender
Dr. Steven Bender
Dr. Kevin Daus

I have found that physical therapy that teaches you how to relax the muscles of this area work the best of all.
Also, some experts believe this will resolve on it's own with time.

Dr. Kevin Daus
Dr. Kevin Daus
Dr. Eric Weisman