Do muscle relaxers help tmj?

Usually. Muscle relaxers will help the muscular pain usually associated with TMJ.
Short term, maybe. Muscle relaxants may be of short term value, but are not treating the problem. Bite problems are the heart of the TMJ disorder? That is what causes the muscle pain and spasm. Even Botox has been used, but the problem always returns. Manage the bite, manage the problem!
Of course. They work by relaxing the muscles in your jaw and face, and they help decrease muscle spasms. There are many simple therapies that you can use to help speed your recovery. See Orofacial Pain expert for diagnosis and treatment.
Somewhat. Muscle relaxants, i found in my practice, are not very effective in the long run. The meds may mask the real problem. An exam and evaluation are needed to attempt to find the source of the problem and treat without using meds.
Muscle relaxers. With most muscle relaxers, we are not able to tolerate a high enough dose to actually relax the muscle. The medication usually causes more of an antianxiety effect. These drugs can be helpfull for some people. The bite or dental occlusion has been shown to have little to no effect on the tmjs. It is currently believed that sleep bruxism is one of the major contributors to TMJ pain.
Yes. I have found that physical therapy that teaches you how to relax the muscles of this area work the best of all. Also, some experts believe this will resolve on it's own with time.