What is burning mouth syndrome?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Many causes
Burning mouth can be caused by a number of things.
I usually evaluate for vitamin deficiencies like B12 and folate (folic acid). I have seen it with patients who are hypothyroid as well. Sjogren's disease can cause it as well as acid reflux.

In brief: Many causes
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Scott Bobbitt
Dentistry
In brief: Nerve malfunction
Bms is a complex interaction of disrupted nerve signals.
Ranial nerves 5, 7, and 9 travel through 'holes' in the base of the skull on their path from the spinal column to the tongue. Swollen muscles, ruptured blood vessels, cysts, tumors, pinched nerves, broken bones, hormones, vitamin deficiencies can all alter the sensation interpreted as 'burning' or painful. See a doc for a neuro consult.

In brief: Nerve malfunction
Dr. Scott Bobbitt
Dr. Scott Bobbitt
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry
In brief: Cause ?
Burning mouth syndrome is given to pain of the tongue, and other areas of the mouth when the cause is not readily apparent.
See your physician for a medical evaluation to try to determine the cause. Even if the cause cannot be determined, there are methods and medications to relieve the discomfort.

In brief: Cause ?
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Ron E. Bell
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Difficult to diagnos
It is sometimes difficult to diagnose as several things can cause it.
A multidisciplinary approach is best to determine the cause.

In brief: Difficult to diagnos
Dr. Ron E. Bell
Dr. Ron E. Bell
Dr. Vikram Patel