When I cough, I have a severe tightness of chest. Is this a signal of a lung problem?

Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Anesthesiology

In brief: Possibly

"tightness of chest" can be used to describe a variety of conditions including, but not limited to, bronchocnstriction(asthma), intercostal muscle strain(can occur with overuse such as athletes), rib fracture, costochondritis(swelling of sternal cartilage), lung disease or damage, or cardiac in nature which requires the most attention.
If it persists, it requires the evaluation by physician.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Perhaps...

You may be experiencing bronchospasm along with the cough.
Bronchospasm can have many etiologies including asthma and copd. So, you should be evaluated by your doctor to see if this is the case as there are treatments available. If you smoke, you need to quit asap to avoid COPD as well as malignancy.

In brief: Perhaps...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery