What does it mean to have a whooping cough? Is this a lung problem?

It's an infection. Whooping cough is a highly contagious bacterial disease that causes uncontrollable, violent coughing. the coughing can make it difficult to breathe.  a deep "whooping" sound is often heard when the patient tries to take a breath. It is an upper respiratory infection caused by the bordetella pertussis or bordetella parapertussis bacteria. It can be prevented by vaccine.
Infection of lungs. Whooping cough is named for the horrible repeated sequence of short coughs followed by a dramatic whoop or vibratory noise from the airways as baby takes a deep breath. It is caused by a vaccine preventable bacterial infection of the lungs that produces lots of sticky mucous baby coughs out to get air. Adults, even if immunized as kids, can get it, be asymtomatic & give it to babies who may die.