My doctor said I need to have full pulmonary function tests. What can I expect?

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology
In brief: 45 Minutes
It takes approximately 45 minutes to complete full pulmonary function tests.
The first part of the test will involve measurement of your spirometry (fev1 and fvc); you will be required to take large breaths of air and blow them out through a small tube attached to a machine. Next you will measure lung volumes and tlco (see my answer on tlco elsewhere in this section). The test is non invasive.

In brief: 45 Minutes
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: Blow
You have to blow into a mouthpiece following the instructions that the respiratory therapist will give you.
Do not worry but give it your best effort.

In brief: Blow
Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology