I quit smoking, but i'm worried that my lung is still damaged. What can I do?

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology
In brief: Pulmonary testing
If you are concerned about the health of your lungs i advise getting pulmonary function tests.
These tests can measure to see 1) how old your lungs are and 2) if they sustained any damage from smoking. Congratulations by the way; the average yearly lung loss for a smoker is between 2-3 tablespoons of lung functino whereas non smokers only loose 1 tablespoon of function per year!

In brief: Pulmonary testing
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Risk of lung cancer remains high for 10 years after you quit smoking. Continued follow up with your physician is advised.
Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: Pulmonologist
The risk of lung cancer remains high for 10 years after you quit.
The bronchial mucosa and the cilia will recover after quiting. However, emphysematous changes in the lung are permanent once developed. A complete pulmonary function test with cat scan will establish a baseline. Yearly imaging studies for ten years is advised for high risk patients to increase chances of detecting early lung cancer.

In brief: Pulmonologist
Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology