I always feel like I need to cough. What could be causing this symptom?

Dr. Craig Canapari

In brief: A number of issues

Chronic cough can be due to lung disease, acid reflux, allergy/sinusitis with post nasal, or even be habitual.
One important point is when the cough bothers you. Asthma is associated with colds and exercise. Night time cough is typical of asthma or reflux. Post nasal drip is frequently worst in the morning. I would recommend a careful evaluation by your primary doctor or a pulmonologist.

In brief: A number of issues

Dr. Craig Canapari
Dr. Craig Canapari
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Possibilities...

A strong possibility is post-nasal drip which can cause a "tickle" in the back of your throat precipitating cough.
Other possibilities include bronchospasm, gerd or a combination of these factors. They all have different treatments do you need to see your doctor to diagnose and then treat you.

In brief: Possibilities...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Peter Kurzweil