I've had asthma since I was little. But I think i'm using albuterol way too much. Can albuterol be bad for you?

Dr. Michael DePietro
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
Patients who use albuterol too much may have side effects like fast heart beat and palpitations.
More importantly albuterol does not treat the real problem in asthma which is inflammation in the airway. It only helps symptoms by "opening" the airway. Patients using lots of albuterol need a medicine to control the inflammation in the lung, such as an inhaled steroid. Symptoms may otherwise worsen.

Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Craig Brown
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology
In brief: Albuterol
Albuterol is a great medicine for those with symptoms of asthma.
That being said, there are side effects associated with it. The common side effects are palpitations, shaking, and a rapid heart beat. When being used constantly in nebulized form, it could cause variations in potassium level. There is another inhaler known as Levalbuterol that does not elevate the heart rate as much.

In brief: Albuterol
Dr. Craig Brown
Dr. Craig Brown
Dr. Cindy Juster