I have to go on a freeway a lot. Will my lung be permanently be affected if I drive with my car windows down?

Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Anesthesiology

In brief: Probably not

The air you breath on the freeway is the same whether windows are up or down, its the way cars are constructed.
Heavy smog associated with a long drive(exposure) day after day, can be of concern because of the presence of carbon monoxide, sulfur trioxide and other combustion products, but probably not associated with permanent damage. Consider a different route to work if it is bothersome.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Craig Keathley
Although lung health is not likely affected, skin health may be. Car windows provide UV protection; a long commute with windows down may provide significant increases in exposure to harmful UV light and negative effects on the skin.
Dr. Eric Toloza
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Depends

Probably only if you get stuck in traffic and have to breathe exhaust fumes excessively .
..

In brief: Depends

..
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Steven Seres